When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, June 27, 2011

Lee White

Midnight ride
Arctic Fox


 

Lurking

They Came By Air
untitled figure study

Lee White is primarily an illustrator of children's books. We could only wish for the children that more picture books displayed his level of artistry (I readily acknowledge that there are a lot of absolutely astounding artists working in this field, but as a father and an artist I can confidently claim that they do not make up the majority of published material). He does his own work as well, as you can see from some of the examples above. No artist worthy of the name can do otherwise and stay sane. But his style and interests lend themselves wonderfully to his chosen profession. What I find most appealing is his ability to evoke quite particular moods through light and atmosphere with a deft gestural style and careful color choices. It brings a very real kind of life to his often poignant fantasies. You can see much more on his website, www.leewhiteillustration.com and on his blog.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! Thank you for this blog. I often find artists I might otherwise miss.

    ReplyDelete