When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, July 12, 2010

Robert Hardgrave

Last week I only posted one artist. My usual goal was three a week, but I'm reducing that to two, probably on Mondays and Thursdays, because time and energy may be universal constants but not personal ones.

So Without further ado I'd like to start this week with one of my rare abstract selections. Robert Hardgrave's hypnotic paintings often seem to hint at representational forms but identifiable objects never quite reveal themselves. The swirling brushwork seems at first glance, chaotic, but is in fact carefully, almost painstakingly applied. Rather than mere chaos, his work speaks eloquently of the concept of emergence, where pattern and design arise spontaneously through random processes. The results are stunning and, oddly, reminds me both of tattoo art and occasionally the work of Mark Tobey (who like Mr. Hardgrave, called Seattle home).
To see more go to his website (www.roberthardgrave.com)
or for a more complete catalog see his flickr page























"Submerged" 24" x 18" acrylic on canvas, 2009




















"Moorman" 50" x 58" acrylic on canvas, 2010























"Hymn" 30" x 24" acrylic on canvas, 2009























"Mercurial" 46" x 38" acrylic and ink on paper 2008























"Tumaccan", 9" x 9", ink and acrylic on paper, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment