When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, May 3, 2010

Richard Hall

Richard Hall is a straightforward (though I can't say no nonsense) realist painter. His technique and compositional approach are very traditional and very formal. Which may sound fine and dandy but is in fact an approach filled with the greatest of pitfalls. Without exceptional skill and vision, work of this sort generally falls into the vast and endless pool of somewhat boring but pretty good art that litter art markets everywhere. Mr. Hall is more than just pretty good and his some nonsense approach pushes his work into a subtle category of its own. The tension in this first painting stands out as a brilliantly executed piece of visual humor. But (and I'm sorry to have to say this Mr. Hall) I can't even bring myself to use the title. The wit and elegance of the painting is self evident, but the title/puns are a little much for me. But while a title can add something to a piece I don't think it can subtract. The titles have absolutely no hold on the work itself which is quite simply, exquisite and I anxiously await the appearance of new pieces on his blog. richardhallfineart.blogspot.com
Also make sure you check out his website: richardhallfineart.com













"Breakfast Special: Ham'r and Eggs" 22" x 36"























"Chirp off the old Block" 12" x 24"























"Apple Cobbler" 24" x 24"














"Leave it to the Professionals"

I'd like to thank artistaday.com for bringing this artist to my attention.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for including my work on your blog, and for the kind words. I especially like your phrase “some nonsense approach!”

    Using puns in the titles is an issue I struggle with, and I appreciate you opening the discussion. I paint in a serious fashion, and I want my work to be taken seriously, but often it’s the phase, pun or play on words that inspires the painting.

    I am British after all, and puns, sarcasm, and irony are encoded in my DNA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Très beau travail! Félicitations sincères !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input Mr, Hall. I can see that if the pun is the root source of the image then it only makes sense to use it as the title. And some I don't mind at all, but "Chirp off the Old block" did make me groan just a little bit. Beautiful piece though.

    ReplyDelete